Hit subscribe on YouTube so you never miss a new post!
- 400 Grams egg whites
- 510 Grams sugar (extra fine if possible)
- 600 Grams room temp. unsalted butter
- 250 Grams vegetable shortening
- optional flavorings below
- Put egg whites and sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer (make sure it’s heat proof) – whisk them like you mean it and combine the sugar into the egg whites.
- Place the bowl onto a pot with an inch of simmering water and continue to stir them every few minutes while heating for about 10-15 mins until you can carefully dunk your fingers into the bowl to feel for any sugar granules between your thumb and index finger. You don’t want a gritty buttercream so make sure all the sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer the bowl onto the mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk until the meringue is a very stiff peak. This takes a while so don’t rush it. sip some coffee and let it do its thing.
- Ok when you are certain your meringue is stiff enough, start adding your fats a little blob at a time, your meringue is going to fall and look soupy and curdled (PANIC) just kidding, this is normal, keep adding the fats until they are all in.
- Add vanilla extract now if using and continue to whip until the curdled mess comes together into silky smooth buttercream.
Ready to use the buttercream now? I recommend switching to a paddle just for a minute to knock out the excess air bubbles before you frost your cake. If your icing cupcakes or using this for something else than you can skip this.
- Vanilla – 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Lemon – 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract & 1 cup lemon curd
- Oreo – add 1-2+ cups finely ground Oreo cookies depending how Oreo you want it – also add 2 teaspoons vanilla.